1.29.2010

A booketh I have readeth

Okay, so I know my blog is boring, thus far.

No pictures. No exciting news. Yet.

So, I thought I'd bore you by telling you about a book Lucas and I read. The most exciting thing about this post is that we each read this fatty book in less than a day. I know...we're wicked-fast readers. Our lightning speed-reading was due to the fact that we were highly motivated - our social worker wouldn't let us proceed with the boys in Ethi0pia until we had read this book.

"Our Own: Adopting and Parenting the Older Child", in case you can't read that for yourself. It's actually a scary book - lots of "worst case scenarios" about various behaviors one might see in an older adopted child. It was a very eye-opening book, though. A book everyone should read if they're considering adopting an "older" child. Gotta prepare yourself.

The one thing it doesn't take into consideration, however, is God. THE most important factor, in my opinion. Will it be hard? Yes. Will there be nutty temper tantrums that I don't know how to deal with? For sure. (Ugh!) Might there be poop smeared on the bathroom walls? Possibly. (I shudder to think.) But this I know for SURE. God has asked us to adopt. If He's asked us, and we obey, what makes me think that He won't provide for our EVERY need? He will. He always does.

"My help comes from the LORD who made heaven and earth! He will not let you stumble; the One who watches over you will not slumber."
Psalm 121:2,3


0 whatdupwidat?:

Post a Comment

I design blogs, too...

Weaksauce Blogs

Kigali, Rwanda


Wild Olive

Adoption Timeline

  • Since 2007 - thinking, praying, talking about adopting
  • 01.07.10 - Found a pair of brothers in Ethiopia on Holt's waiting child list
  • 01.10.10 - Lucas said "let's get the adoption ball rolling!" Applied with Holt's Waiting Child program
  • 02.01.10 - Spent our first official adoption dollar and applied with Holt
  • 02.02.10 - 02.18.10 - Delay, delay, delay. Wait, wait, wait for Holt to have their committee meeting to choose a family for the brothers.
  • 02.19.10 - A different family was chosen for boys in Ethiopia. We're moving on.
  • 02.25.10 - Applied with Gladney's Rwanda program.
  • 02.28.10 - First home study meeting with our social worker. I hope my house is child-proof enough!
  • 03.01.10 - Applied with Mugisha Ministries to help us with an independent adoption. Received renewed passports in the mail.
  • 03.03.10 - Fingerprinted for state and local backgroud checks.
  • 03.06.10 - Accepted by Mugisha Ministries!
  • 03.10.10 - Mailed I-600a
  • 03.11.10 - Mailed our birth and marriage certificates back to HI and AR for authentication.
  • 03.14.10 - Home study visit #2
  • 03.15.10 - Realized I messed up the fee on my I-600a. Waiting for its return. Started online adoption training.
  • 3.20.10 - Received our Immigration rejection and sent them the rest of our fingerprinting fees.
  • 4.2.10 - Completed home study received in the mail

Search This Blog